Sunday, September 16, 2012

Meat (Hidden Vegetable) Lasagna


If your household is anything like mine, you probably have some picky eaters. My sous chef doesn't like squash, zucchini, or big chunks of onions or peppers. But he likes this lasagna and all those things are in it. My trick is to mask the veggies by shredding them in a food processor and mixing into different layers of the dish. The result: a wonderful dinner full of vegetables. I put meat into this lasagna but you could make it without and just double up on the veggie sauce.

Ricotta mixture: 15 oz part skim ricotta, 1 egg, 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, 1 yellow squash, shredded using food processor. Combine in a bowl and set aside.


 Veggie Mixture: Sautee 1/4 c yellow onion, diced. One green pepper - chopped finely and one zucchini chopped finely (again-I used the food processor). The pepper will be very watery if done in the processor. If you can- chop it finely. If your making this for someone who's not the hugest fan - then process it.

Add one container of high quality tomato sauce. Stir and set aside.

 Meat mixture: half pound italian sausage (ground without casing) and about half a pound of ground beef. I used 90% lean sirloin. 

 Add another jar of high quality tomato sauce. Set aside. 

 Now we do our layers. I like to put a bit of water in my tomato sauce jar and dump the watered down leftover sauce into the bottom of my baking dish. This is a trick my mom taught me. It helps to keep the lasagna from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of lasagna pasta.

 Top with the veggie mixture then add another layer of pasta. 

 Top with ricotta cheese mixture and then add another layer of pasta.

 Add meat mixture...no more pasta.

 Top with one package of part skim mozzarella cheese and sprinkle parsley on top.

  I made one normal sized lasagna and one small sized lasagna with this recipe. You can freeze one and cook it later. Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my firѕt comment (іt was super lοng) ѕo Ӏ guеѕs I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thοгoughlу enϳοying your blog.
І too am an aspiring blog writeг but І'm still new to everything. Do you have any suggestions for beginner blog writers? I'ԁ defіnitely appreсiate it.


Here іs my wеbsite: best-santa-letter-sites.com

Anonymous said...

I am extгemely inѕріreԁ togetheг wіth
your ωriting ѕkills аs ѕmartly aѕ with the formаt to youг
weblog. Iѕ this a paid subject oг diԁ yοu customіze it your sеlf?
Either way stay up the eхcellent high quаlity wгіtіng, it's uncommon to peer a great weblog like this one today..

Feel free to surf to my page kruisenenkapellenhorst.terhorstnet.nl