Saturday, January 28, 2012

Bobby Flay's Nacho Burger

I saw this on the front cover of Food and Wine back in January and I've been dying to try it. I finally stopped putting it off and made them for dinner. (Constant posting is making me dig through my old Food and Wine magazines now and hunt for fun recipes - my grocery shopping has never been so inspired before!)

Salsa

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and minced
3 plum tomatoes, finely diced
2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Salt

MAKE THE SALSA: In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt. Tip: I found the chile in adobo canned in the Asian Food section of the grocery store. Oh, and when you open the can, lean back. I got a huge blast of chipotle and heat in my throat that it made me start coughing! Also, if you have salsa leftovers save them - this would be great on Huevos Rancheros!

Cheese Sauce

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (8 oz is 1/2 a pound)
2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper

MAKE THE CHEESE SAUCE: In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook over moderate heat for 30 seconds. Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking, until smooth and thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in the Jack cheese until melted, then stir in the pecorino; season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce cool until it is very thick and spreadable.

Burgers

1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
Vegetable oil, for brushing

Salt and freshly ground pepper

4 hamburger buns, split and toasted

Sliced pickled jalapeƱos and blue corn tortilla chips, for topping (optional)

MAKE THE BURGERS: Light a grill (or use a grill pan, like I did). Form the beef into 4 patties and brush with oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat until browned outside and medium within, about 4 minutes per side.

Place the burgers on the buns. Top with the cheese sauce and salsa. Bobby's recipe also suggests topping your burger with pickled jalapeƱos and crushed up blue corn tortilla chips. I didn't use these two toppers and it was great without them. Close the burgers and serve.

No comments: